Calling all poets and activists to check out the two Union related events taking place on July 25, 2015 in New York this weekend! The NYC Poetry Festival and the Verizon Rally are opportunities to express creativity and solidarity with like-minded people and move the organization forward.
Date/Time: July 25 – 26 at 11 AM
Location: Colonel’s Row on Governors Island
The festival opens at 11am and closes at 6pm on July 25th and 26th, 2015. Plan to arrive at the ferry landing at least 30 minutes prior to your desired arrival time.
NWU NY Chapter will have a table where members can display their books and help promote the union; and there will be designated members reading their work on the Chumley stage between 12:30 and 1 pm.
There will also be a public sign up for open mic readings.
For more information, contact member Garrett Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: The ferries come only once every 30 minutes. The ferry ride takes about 10 minutes. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the ferry landings to the festival. Someone getting on the 11am ferry will make it to the festival grounds around 11:20am. Also, arriving at the ferry station for the 11am ferry doesn’t necessarily guarantee that you’ll get on the 11 am ferry if there is a long line.
GETTING TO THE ISLAND
- The Governors Island Manhattan ferry departs from the Battery Maritime Building located at 10 South Street, adjacent to the Staten Island Ferry in Lower Manhattan. The ferry terminal is accessible by the 1, 4, 5, and R subway lines.
- The Governors Island Brooklyn ferry departs from Pier 6 in Brooklyn Bridge Park, at the foot of Atlantic Avenue and is accessible by the R, 2, 3, 4, and 5 subway lines, and by the B63 bus.
- There is no fare on the 10 AM, 11 AM and 11:30 AM ferries from Manhattan on Saturdays and Sundays.
- There is also no fare on the 11 AM and 11:30 AM ferry from Brooklyn on Saturdays and Sundays.
- These ferries are free to all. However, there is now a $2 round trip fare for adults and children over the age of 12 on all other ferries.
- There is no surcharge for bicycles on the Governors Island Ferry.
- Children under 12 ride for free at all times and senior citizens’ fares are half price.
- Governors Island is also accessible via the East River Ferry, but it costs more $$$.
STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH VERIZON WORKERS
Date/Time: July 25 at 11 AM
Location: Verizon HQ • 140 West Street, New York, NY 10013
39,000. That is how many of our CWA and IBEW sisters and brothers could be in the streets on August 1, when their contract ends, thanks to the overwhelming greed and brutal attacks against workers by Verizon. Let’s show Verizon this fight is important to the entire labor movement by attending the July 25 rally in NYC at 11 AM.
The first fight I worked on was the Daily News Strike in the early 1990’s, and I will never forget the sense of solidarity shown by the entire labor movement; it inspired me then and continues to inspire me today. With your help, we can show that commitment to one another again and create a wave of solidarity that flows to every union and every fight that affects working families.
If companies like Verizon are allowed to slash employee pensions, eliminate job security and increase medical costs for employees despite making $29 Billion in profits in the past 5 years, then it can happen to anyone. That is why I am asking you to attend the rally this Saturday July 25 in NYC.
In the days ahead, we will be meeting and preparing with our affiliates to help Verizon workers in any way we can, whether rallies, food banks, donations, labor walks or applying political pressure. Together, with all of our hard work, we can help our sisters and brothers get the best possible result for themselves and their families.
President NYS AFL-CIO