The Worker Rights Consortium hopes to end sweatshop working conditions by investigating factories around the world and applying pressure to make improvements. The organization is on the lookout for a writer who can lead efforts to get this information out to companies and the broader public.
This senior writer position involves producing detailed reports on factory investigations, communicating with brands and retailers about labor rights violations at their factories, and issuing public reports on major worker rights concerns in specific industries and countries. The writer will also send updates to WRC constituents, produce short posts for the website, and draft opinion pieces. The position involves communicating with WRC investigators to support their work and help develop the evidence needed to produce quality reports.
Candidates for the position must have the following:
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- A strong commitment to advancing the goal of worker rights
- A minimum of seven years of experience in a relevant field
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Mature professional judgment
- The ability to work independently, be self-directed, and flourish in a non-bureaucratic work environment
- The ability to work productively with a geographically dispersed staff of varying cultural backgrounds and a diversity of language skills
- The scheduling flexibility to deal with urgent circumstances that arise in our overseas work and to ensure that key deadlines are met
The following are desired but not required:
- Experience working internationally
- Experience with quantitative research methods, statistics, and data analysis
- Experience with design and layout for electronic publications
- Web design and maintenance skills
- Proficiency in one or more languages spoken in key garment-exporting countries
The starting salary is $70,000, with room to adjust commensurate with experience. The WRC provides 100 percent employer-paid family health insurance including dental and vision, a 401k retirement plan with employer contribution, and five weeks paid vacation. The job is covered by a union contract and is based in Washington, D.C.
To apply, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter, explaining your interest in the position and your relevant experience
- A résumé or C.V.
- Three writing samples, of which you were the sole author, including one piece that reflects the results of substantial research; one piece advocating an idea or policy position; and one additional piece of your choosing
- Three professional references (if you wish to be notified prior to any references being contacted, please so indicate)
Please view the complete job announcement for more details.