It’s one thing to have a job. It’s another to have dignifying work that pays a fair wage. Jobs With Justice is an organization that advocates for unions and workers. It’s in need of a communication’s director that will play a big role in how that message gets out.
This is a full-time, senior-level position based in Washington D.C. The director’s role involves providing a strategic vision and leadership. This person will develop a communications campaign plans and oversee efforts to produce compelling content that drives narrative change.
The position starts at $90k, with salary established based on experience, education, and internal salary guidelines. Applicants must have previous experience working in the labor and social justice movement. To apply, send a resume, relevant writing samples, references, and cover letter/letter of interest to email@example.com. The organization will consider applications from now through November 15th.
Jobs With Justice seeks a senior-level communications professional with experience working in the labor and social justice movement to join our team and make a difference in the lives of working people. The Communications Director will provide strategic direction, vision, and leadership to the organization, its network of leaders, and campaigns. Our ideal candidate can effectively develop and oversee communications campaign plans, produce a broad range of compelling content, drive narrative change, and set direction for a dynamic team. This position is based in our Washington, D.C., office and will be part of the organization’s management team.
- Creates, executes, and guides strategic communications plans for our campaigns, initiatives, events, and research.
- Sets direction and priorities for the communications department.
- Provides strategic rapid response advice and support for our network and allies.
- Leads message development and drives narratives to achieve campaign goals and policy objectives.
- Develops and conceptualizes talking points, commentary, backgrounders, op-eds, and speeches for our issues, campaigns, events, and lead spokespeople.
- Serves as messaging counselor and editorial gatekeeper/chief editor for all external material.
- Ensures the dissemination of high-impact content and a consistent and compelling voice for the organization across all channels.
- Establishes and updates organization-wide communications protocols.
- Trains and prepares staff, partners, and coalition members to be effective spokespeople.
- Collaborates with the staff of network, ally and stakeholder organizations to advance campaigns and projects.
- Ensures cross-collaboration between communications and other departments and ensures that adequate support from communications is provided for priority projects and campaigns.
- Manages content management workflow and vetting process, creates and oversees editorial calendars, project timelines and other deadlines.
- Provides direct supervision and day-to-day support to communications staff, including regular check-ins, work planning, coaching, development, and annual evaluations.
- Oversees departmental and team planning and supports the implementation of the organization’s strategic vision.
- Regularly assesses work, shares key information and tracks updates with teams,
- Oversees the work of vendors, consultants, contractors, and interns as needed.
- Guides departmental budgeting process and oversees departmental expenditures.
- Serves as a member of the management team providing leadership and guidance around the organization’s programs, staff culture and internal operations.
- Minimum of eight years of experience in strategic communications, some of it in a management capacity, working in nonprofit, advocacy, or union organizations.
- Quantifiable success in developing and executing comprehensive and proactive communications strategies and campaigns.
- Exceptional writer, advanced editor, and proven ability to synthetize and distill complicated and lengthy material.
- Proven ability to deliver strong, clear, succinct and persuasive content on a range of topics and in others’ voices in a timely manner.
- Experience packaging and adapting research into communications products. ·
- Message framing and development experience.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively about the role of communications in achieving the organization’s vision and goals while also remaining focused on the detail-oriented work and follow-through required by the position.
- Experience working with digital tools and strategies to communicate organizational priorities and move supporters into action.
- Adept at managing multiple priorities and projects effectively, and capable of shifting gears accordingly.
- Acumen in understanding the news cycle and needs of the media.
- Experience pitching events and stories to print, broadcast and digital outlets.
- Established relationship-building skills.
- Excellent use of independent judgment, problem solving, and discretion.
- Organizational planning and project management experience.
- Adaptable, flexible and resourceful in a dynamic and rapidly-changing environment.
- Experience in and knowledge of workplace and economic issues, labor, social justice, organizing, and/or progressive policy and advocacy issues.
- A record of exceptional management and leadership that articulates and maintains high standards, transforms teams, and empowers, mentors, and motivates staff.
- Experience working with online content management systems (e.g. WordPress) and advocacy/constituent relationship management software (e.g. Action Network) or supervising those who do.
- Experience in social and economic justice advocacy and the labor movement strongly preferred.
- Speechwriting and ghostwriting experience greatly preferred.
- Marketing and culture change communications experience a plus.
- Flexibility to travel as needed in performance of duties.