Political lines aren’t as rigid as they may seem. Catholics for Choice is a DC-based non-profit that gives voice to Catholics who believe their faith supports a woman’s moral and legal right to make their own decisions regarding their sexuality and reproduction. The organization is on the lookout for a managing editor.
This position will require producing high-quality research and editing that maintains, in the non-profit’s words, the organizaiton’s “position as the authoritative source on Catholicism and reproductive rights.” Catholics for Choice produces several new publications a year. The flagship piece is the group’s Conscience magazine. Other work includes scholarly analysis, factsheets, critical reports of the work of anti-choice groups and the religious right, and polling.
Major responsibilities include:
- Proofread and copy edit all CFC written products. This includes enforcing consistent adherence to organization-wide writing standards and style; checking facts diligently; ensuring clarity, completeness and consistency; as well as copyediting and formatting.
- Research, draft and edit CFC publications, including factsheets, reports, polls, web content and other materials as assigned.
- Serve as editorial assistant for Conscience magazine: fact check, proof and edit all sections of the magazine; assist the editor in researching and drafting articles; coordinate with authors, advertisers, printers and vendors as necessary; maintain records of content, distribution and income; and other duties as assigned.
- Manage publications production process, including serving as the point of contact for authors, designers, printers and vendors as necessary.
- Assist program staff with researching and writing reports as needed.
- Monitor and distribute articles and items of interest from Catholic media outlets.
- Maintain up-to-date files on areas of interest to CFC and ensure accessibility of the information to CFC program staff, including updating staff as appropriate on items of interest.
- Maintain CFC websites with up-to-date information from communications and program staff.
- Represent CFC at meetings and conferences to disseminate information, research findings and publications.
Position requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field and three to five years of experience in research, writing and editing, ideally with an academic journal or flagship publication (or a commensurate combination of education and experience). Experience in investigative reporting a plus.
- Immaculate writing and editing skills with acute attention to detail, style, and grammar, as well as demonstrated ability to produce pithy, appealing and accurately written content.
- Voracious appetite for reading and research and strong investigative skills, including library and online research, as well as the ability to obtain hard-to-find information.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately on tight deadlines.
- Substantial knowledge and understanding of Catholicism and reproductive health issues.
- A high degree of computer literacy, including word processing, desktop publishing, database management and web skills.
- Passion for reproductive rights, religious freedom and the mission of CFC.
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples of 3-5 pages (all as PDF files) to email@example.com with the subject CFC, Managing Editor.